Saturday, February 6, 2010

Topps/Yankee “Pie in the Face” Variations

hairston

During the 2009 season, the World Champion Yankees had a special way of celebrating walk-off heroics…with a “Pie in the Face”. Topps captures 12 of these fun moments on (very) short printed variations in 2010 Topps Series 1.

Alex Rodriguez- 5/16/09
Johnny Damon- 5/17/09
Jorge Posada- 7/4/09
Hideki Matsui- 7/20/09
Alex Rodriguez- 8/7/09
Robinson Cano- 8/12/09
Robinson Cano- 8/28/09
Nick Swisher- 9/8/09
Francisco Cervelli- 9/16/09
Juan Miranda- 9/29/09
Mark Teixeira- 10/9/09
Jerry Hairston Jr.- 10/17/09

And a hint for more hidden fun in 2010 Topps Series 1:  “Who would Abe Lincoln’s favorite team be?”

My take: As a Red Sox fan, I’m not supposed to like these cards, but I think it’s kind of cool.  Baseball cards are supposed to capture cool moments from the previous year and like it or not, this was one of the big things from last season.  The Yankees had a ridiculous number of walk-off wins and celebrated them in a fun way.  I think I would have been more upset if Topps had decided to use these pictures on the regular cards in the set.  I don’t want 12 pie in the face cards in my 2010 Topps set.  Stealth inserts aren’t a big deal to me.  If you pull one out of your box and don’t want it, it makes good trade or eBay fodder.  If you like it, it’s an extra cool card to add to your collection.

As for the little hint at the end, I think that everyone needs to check their Nationals cards very closely.  I’ll be curious to see this variant pop up.  Is it Honest Abe sitting in the stands or did Topps make a card of Lincoln himself.  Guess we can only wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like that attitude for stealth inserts. Wish more people had it. I mean, if you are lucky enough to pull one, it adds more value to your box of cards. Nothing wrong with that, right?