Saturday, May 2, 2009

Hits or GTFO: 2008-09 Topps Signature Basketball

ShaqAuto

Made a trip to Kenmore Collectibles on Friday mostly for some one-touch card holders and I wanted to open something while I was there.  Nothing was really catching my eye so I decided to take a shot at the newish Signature Basketball.  I’ve heard the horror stories of autographs numbered as high as 9,000 which would actually make them less rare than the base cards in the set which are numbered to 2,325, but I decided to give it a try anyway since you’ve got a 1:8 chance of getting one of the A-List autographs and there are a couple of guys on that list which would make a Celtics fan happy.

The design is a little minimalistic.  It almost looks like a tame version of 90s Skybox where everything is straight lines instead of stars, squiggles and other weird shapes.  It’s far from terrible, but it isn’t very close to great either.

As far as my pack went, I didn’t pull a Pierce, Bird or Russell, but I did get a Shaq.  That’s not too shabby.  People love Shaq, his Twitters, bad rapping and bad acting.  Unfortunately, I couldn’t be any less of a Shaq fan so this card is going right up on eBay.  I’ve won a bunch of great cards lately so this will go towards funding that and you can expect a mailbag post within the next couple of days.

No comments: