Thursday, May 28, 2009

Talking with Topps

WadeThe eBay auction for the Dwayne Wade card isn’t drawing a lot of attention.  I was honest in the description of the card and I’m sure that has a lot to do with it.  This card has a smudged autograph and lots of chipping on the back.  It’s great to pull such a rare card, but that excitement quickly fades when a card is in this bad of shape.

So, I was toying with the idea of sending the card back to Topps for replacement if there continued to be no interest on eBay.  Before sending it back, I wanted to make sure that I’d get the same card back and so I e-mailed Topps.  What follows reads like one of chemgod’s Craigslist Idiot posts.

Hello,

I pulled a Dwayne Wade autographed mini card out of a rip card and it is in pretty rough shape. The autograph is smudged and there is a lot of chipping on the back. Can I send this card in to be replaced? I have all of the required items (box, receipt, etc), but am wondering if there are extras on hand of a card this rare.

Thanks

Thank you for contacting the Consumer Relations department for Topps.

We are sorry to hear that your recent purchase of a Topps product contained damaged cards. Please note that the policy of the Topps Company regarding the request for replacement product items requires that the consumer include the following items with their submission:

1) A letter of explanation
2) A copy of sales receipt
3) All pack wrappers & or mini boxes from the product
4) The UPC code (bar code) from the Main box
5) All Damaged items

This should be sent to:

The Topps Company, Inc.
ATTN: Consumer Relations
401 York Ave.
Duryea, PA 18642
ATTN: Consumer Relations

We will then review your issue and begin taking steps toward rectifying it, please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery. We hope this information is helpful to you. As always, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service team (By phone: 800-489-9149, or by Email:
support@etopps.com) if you ever have any other questions, comments or suggestions. A customer service representative will be available to assist you between the hours of 9:00am - 4:30pm (EST), Monday through Friday.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write. We appreciate your interest in Topps and hope you continue to enjoy our products.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
The Topps Company, Inc.

This is the standard copy and paste that Topps sends out if you contact them about damaged cards.  You’d better have everything that they request or else they’ll just send your card back.  No Joke.  Since this reply didn’t really answer my question, I decided to write again.

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. Does this mean that you have replacements of this card on hand? I just want to be assured that I will get back the card that I sent (I can even send the ripped card it came in for further verification) because I have had issues with a redemption card due to Topps losing its basketball license. Can I please get a non-copy and paste answer assuring that I will be able to get the same card in return.

Thanks!

Hello,

Please be advised there is no guarantee as to what you will receive, The only guarantee is that you will receive something of equal book value. Thank you for your interest in Topps.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service team (By Phone: 800-489-9149, or by Email:
support@etopps.com) if you ever have any other questions, comments or suggestions. A customer service representative will be available to answer your questions between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm (EST), Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations
The Topps Company, Inc.

This answer got me wondering because when I checked Beckett this card was not listed due to scarcity.  So, how do they determine book value for such a card.  Here goes another e-mail.

Hello,

The thing is that a card such as this one isn't listed in any book due to rarity and I can't find any previous sales on eBay. How do you determine the book value then?

Hello,

The book value is determined by our team of experts, it is your choice as to if you would like to take a chance regarding your exchange or to hold on to the Wade card.

As always, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Service team (By Phone: 800-489-9149, or by Email:
support@etopps.com) if you ever have any other questions, comments or suggestions. A customer service representative will be available to answer your questions between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm (EST), Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Topps Customer Service team

Team of experts?  That kind of intrigues me.  I think that I’ve got to follow up on this further.  I’m really not comfortable with the answer “take a chance regarding your exchange or to hold on to the Wade card.”  I feel kind of like I’m dealing with Monty Hall and I’m going to get Zonked if I trade in what I have for curtain #3.

What would you do in my shoes?  Click on the picture of the Wade card and look at the full size scan.  The card is in rough shape, but is that bad enough to discourage someone from buying it?  If it was a card of your favorite player, would you want a card looking like this in your collection?  Would you send it back to Topps and hope that they send some loaded Echelon (is there such a thing) in its place?

2 comments:

Mr. Thell said...

Hello-

I came across your post while doing a google search regarding autographed mini cards from rip cards. A little over a year ago I ripped a card and pulled a perfect condition autographed mini Isiah Thomas card out of a rip card. I have looked around and found nowhere that can tell me the value or rarity of this card. Did you ever determine your card's value?

I would be willing to sell my card, but I don't think anybody on ebay would know what it's worth or just how rare such an item is.

Also, I guess if anybody is reading this and has an interest, feel free to email me at mrthell at gmail.

Offy said...

Mr. Thell - I have a feeling that these cards were really rare. At the most 10 copies of each and very possibly only one of each. Topps couldn't find the print run on these cards. They sent me a decent amount of cards as a replacement for my card and I think that I could have gotten even more if I pushed.

The only way to truly find out the value is to put the card up on eBay and see what it sells for.