Sunday, June 21, 2009

Posting on the road

I'm writing this from my mom's house, waiting for my Father's Day dinner to be ready and thought that I'd kill some time writing my first post composed in Blogger's web based form. So, there won't be any pictures or fancy formatting since I don't have a scanner or Windows Live Writer here.

First off, Happy Father's Day to all of the father's out there.  This is my third Father's Day and I've loved every single one.  Sure, it has meant less cards in the collection, but the time spent with my daughter and family more than makes up for it.  I also love the fact that my daughter already takes an interest in cards (especially the non-sports variety) and I get to share that with both her and my wife.

There was a card show today and my wife whisked me off to that as a special treat.  On a positive note, I finished off my 2009 Topps Baseball set.  On the other side of things, while there were a lot of cool cards there, I didn't see anything I couldn't also pick up on eBay for half off or more.  Only one table had unopened wax and the prices were pretty high.  I left after purchasing just 6 packs of O-Pee-Chee for $1.50 each to see what they were like in person.

I've got to say that these will definitely be the last packs of OPC that I'll be buying unless the blasters drop to half price in a year or so.  It's just downright ridiculous that Upper Deck has set the price point for these at a quarter a card (if you can find them at $1.50) and most people are paying even more than that.  You pay twenty-five cents a card for base Upper Deck and those have foil, glossy finish and on top of that autographs and relics per box instead of per case.

Upper Deck says that Goodwin will be affordable as well, but if I remember correctly they said on their Facebook page that it would be $4 for 5 card packs.  Most stores will probably start these off at $5 and then go up from there.  I don't see how decreasing the amount of cards that you get in a pack makes them affordable in Upper Deck's eyes.  It's only an illusion.

Sorry to be such a downer on Father's Day.  I promise to have a more uplifting post in the future when I place an order online with eBay and Father's Day funds and bust open some stuff that'll make me happy.  I think that a pre-order of 2009 Allen & Ginter is in the works.

Happy Father's Day everyone!

No comments: