Friday, July 2, 2010

Mail Day: Dee Brown

Every now and then, I’ll pick up a few Dee Brown cards for my collection.  I lost some interest when he left the Celtics and even more once he retired.  I wasn’t collecting much then anyway.  When I see something cool online, I’ll grab it to add to the collection.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

Dee

Most days, I’ll do the majority of my blog reading and eBay browsing on my breaks at work.  The only problem with that is I don’t have my collection handy to reference and that can lead to problems.  The Dee Brown refractor that I purchased was a card that I already had in my collection.  Another issue you can run into are poor eBay sellers.  I purchased a lot of 110 Dee Brown cards on eBay thinking there would be some new cards that I could add to my collection.  The auction pictured 9 different cards and stated that there were some duplicates.  There were only 27 different cards in the lot with as many as 18 copies of a single card.  This is funny when sent as a bip, but so funny when it is something that you’ve paid for.  To top that off, the cards were not packaged well at all and most arrived damaged.  It’s not worth pursuing on eBay because I’ll spend as much as I paid to ship the cards back to the seller.

The only good card out of this bunch is the 2006-07 Upper Deck Trilogy Generations Past Signatures card.  It’s a sticker, but it is a nice looking card.  I’d love for Panini to release some Dee Brown jersey cards.  Collectors have been snatching up the Reggie Lewis cards out there and I think that Slam Dunk Champion Brown should be next in line.

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's too bad that the seller wasn't more honest. Buying lots on ebay is always hit and miss. But still, Dee Brown brings back some memories. Good stuff.

Offy said...

I wouldn't have been as upset with all of the duplicates if the cards had arrived in good condition. I can always use the duplicates for something even if it is putting 20 of them in a team set bag and selling them for a buck at a yard sale. Little kids love stuff like that.

Dee Brown was a fun player to watch. I got to meet him a couple of times and he was a nice guy as well. One of the stranger items in my collection is an NBA Jam strategy guide (there's strategy to NBA Jam?) signed by Brown because he wrote the foreword.