Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Topps Customer Service Comes Through Again

Topps fairly takes a lot of abuse for their redemption card process.  They take far too long and give way too little information about the cards both as you wait and when they are shipped.  Topps’ customer service department on the other hand is spectacular.  I’ve dealt with them a handful of times and each time they’ve gone above and beyond what I expected.  Here’s the latest example of them doing just that.

A few weeks ago, I finally got around to sending in some 2009 Ginter cards that came out of packs damaged.  I was also shorted a hit on my box and wanted to get that third hit.  So, I sent off my cards and waited.  A couple of weeks ago, I got an envelope in the mail from Topps.  I opened it up and found… someone else’s cards.  I contacted Topps to see what was up.  They asked me to ship the cards back and they would ship out the cards that I needed to be replaced.  I later got a letter in the mail from Topps asking me to send the cards back stating that they’d send some packs in return for my inconvenience.  I figured, it cost me a couple of bucks to send the first package and a couple of bucks to send the second package so some packs of Topps or even Opening Day would be nice.

1


This is what I found in the package: 2 packs of 2009 Finest, 2 packs of 2009 Allen & Ginter, a pack of 2009 Ticket to Stardom and a pack of 2009 Unique.  Wow, that’s around $30 - $40 retail price on this packs if I’m adding correctly.  That’s a lot more than I expected in return for doing something that I would have done anyway.  I was especially happy to see the pack of Unique since it will most likely be the only pack of Unique that I ever open since it’s not something that I can afford.

I ripped open the packs and here’s the best of what I found:

2


I still can’t stand the microscopic autographs on the Finest letter patches so if there are any Brewers fans out there or anyone else interested in that card, please drop me a line.  The two blue refractors were in the pack that didn’t contain the autographed card.  The two Finest packs were great.  Ginter gave me an extra Ortiz card as well as The Turk hoax card.  Ticket to Stardom was all base cards, but I’ll hang on to the Ellsbury and Pujols.  The Unique cards are really nice looking and I’m going to have to pick up some base card singles.  The Lopez is numbered to 99 and the Reimold is numbered to 1199.  While they are great looking cards, they’re a little expensive for what you get in a pack if you don’t get a hit.  It’s definitely something where you are better off buying it by the box.

3
Here are some of the cards that I got back from Topps.  There were a lot of National Pride, but I completed most of that set and no longer need the cards that were damaged.  At least I still need the Nique for my set so I’m one SP closer to completion.

Topps is now shipping cards in these cool little boxes to keep them from getting damaged in shipment.  I was very impressed with how the cards were packaged.  Overall, I was extremely impressed with this package from Topps.

Technorati Tags: ,

1 comment:

The Big Kahuna said...

I have a love/hate relationship with Topps....and that's about all I can say. sometimes they come through and sometimes they just stink!