Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Finishing Move – 2007-08 Topps Bill Russell Missing Years

Russell

Last year, I purchased a box of 2007-08 Topps Basketball HTA jumbos.  I’ve always had good luck with Topps and Stadium Club Basketball jumbos.  This box yielded my first ever Rip Card.  Since the card had Camby, Okafor and Jermaine O’Neal on it, it was an easy decision to rip it.  Inside was a Josh Howard red ink autograph card.  Sometimes you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

The box also yielded 5 out of the 11 cards in the Bill Russell The Missing Years insert set.  I had set them aside and forgotten about them until recently.  Upon discovering them, I made my way over to SportLots, dropped a few bucks and now I’ve got the complete set.  Topps also did a Larry Bird insert set similar to this, but people aren’t giving those cards away for next to nothing like the Russell cards.  These cards remind me of the Topps Basketball Archives set that Topps did in the early 90s.  The set was all “rookie” cards of players in the design of that year’s baseball set to give you an idea of what might have been if Topps never stopped making basketball cards.  That set is still one of my all-time favorites.

No comments: